The bomber jacket has made its mark on the fashion scene, and clearly it’s here to stay, so we might as well embrace it and figure out how to wear a bomber jacket.
Whether it’s winter or spring, a bomber is the perfect cover-up because it works in cold weather and when it warms up. Dress it up when you’re going out, or dress it down for a casual weekend with the girls or your family.
Read more: How to wear skinny jeans — 7 days a week
Best of all, you should be able to find a bomber jacket that doesn’t break the bank. One of our favorites at the moment is this rose gold bomber jacket, R629, from H&M. But if you’re feeling a little more daring, there are some gorgeous embroidered bombers out there.
Now, how do you look effortlessly chic every time you wear your new bomber jacket? We have you sorted. Here’s exactly how to wear a bomber jacket 4 different ways.
Back to basics
There’s nothing more effortless than wearing a pair of great fitting jeans and a bomber jacket. This outfit says “Oh, me? I just threw this on…” Even better, it looks great with flats or heels.
- Skinny jeans, R179,99, Mr Price
- Bodysuit, R299, Paige Smith at Zando
- Sling bag, R399,50, Colette Hayman
- Necklace, R160, Woolworths
- Brogues, R599, Rubi Shoes at Cotton On
On the job style
We’re here to show you how to wear a bomber jacket… to work! Opt for neutral tones and a pair of cute yet comfortable court shoes, and you’re good to go. This semi-casual look is great if your office dress code is a little more relaxed, but if you need to look a little fancier, switch the statement top for a plain blouse.
- Slogan top, R180, Woolworths
- Suit pants, R799, H&M
- Sunglasses, R249, Rubi Shoes
- Court heels, R269,99, Legit
- Shopper bag, R299, Utopia at Zando
Off duty style
This is our fashion editor’s favourite way to wear a bomber jacket. The sexy bodycon dress pairs perfectly with a cool, casual bomber. Whether you go for heels or flats, you’ll still look glam.
Top tip: if you’re apple shaped or self-conscious about your tummy, choose a long bomber jacket worn over a figure flattering shift dress to get the same figure-flattering effect.
- Khaki green bodycon drees, R169,99, Mr Price
- Ring, R169,50, Colette Hayman
- Stud saddle bag, R350, Woolworths
- Slip ons, R399, Superga
- Cat eye sunglasses, R59,99, Mr Price
Girls’ day out
The killer combo this season has to be a vintage-inspired pleated skirt worn with a trendy bomber jacket. This really is a gorgeous look, getting the balance between femininity and edginess just right. Best of all, it’s an outfit that looks great on every shape and size. If it’s going to be chilly, swap the heels for a pair of ankle boots.
- Pleated skirt, R429, H&M
- Statement top, R79,99, Mr Price
- Embroidered clutch bag, R399,50, Colette Hayman
- Tassel earrings, R99,95, Woolworths
- Ankle strap heels, R229,99, Legit