This grown-up bread and butter pudding is laced with brandy, but if you don’t want to use alcohol, just replace it with coffee for a non-alcoholic kick.
Energy: 2377kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 18g
- 65g unsalted butter
- 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3tbsp brandy or rum
- 300g raisin bread
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 50g castor sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 200ml full-cream milk
- 200ml reduced-fat cream
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Grease a baking dish with 10g butter. Melt the chocolate, another 25g of butter and the brandy or rum in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Set aside.
- Cut the raisin bread into thin slices, arrange a third in the dish and spoon over half the melted chocolate. Repeat with some more slices and a layer of chocolate, then top with the remaining slices. Melt the remaining butter and mix in the vanilla, eggs, sugar, milk and cream. Pour over the bread and leave for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden. Leave to stand for 15 minutes to thicken.
Notes: If you're cooking for raisin-haters, just use a regular loaf of white bread - or brioche if you're feeling fancy.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.