A deliciously sticky pudding that everyone can enjoy - even if you're avoiding gluten. We've also made this pineapple pud dairy free, but if you would rather use butter and milk, go ahead!
Cooking time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Energy: 2054kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 5g
- 175g dairy-free baking margarine
- 165g light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g gluten-free self-raising flour
- Zest of 1 lime, juice of half
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 4 tbsp almond or other dairy-free milk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 175g fresh pineapple chunks
- 3 balls stem ginger or ginger preserve, chopped
- Cream the spread and sugar until pale and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then fold in flour, lime zest and juice and spices. Stir in the milk (add a drop more if it looks dry) until it makes a thick batter.
- Drizzle the maple syrup over the base of a 2-litre, round ovenproof dish, sprinkle over the pineapple and ginger, then pour in the mix and smooth the top. Fold a piece of tin foil, so it has a pleat in the middle, over the dish and tie tightly with string.
- Put the dish on a saucer in a deep saucepan and half fill with boiling water. Cover and steam gently for 2 hours – you may need to top up the water during cooking.