These deliciously cold treats are basically individually moulded hot cross bun ice creams - we can't think of a better way to use up leftover hot cross buns!
Cooking time: 55 minutes + freezing time
Energy: 2545kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 18g
- 200g raisins
- 4 tbsp brandy
- 100g white marzipan
- 2 hot cross buns, whizzed into fine crumbs
- 125g soft dark brown sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- 250ml cream
- 180ml reduced-fat cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½tsp mixed spice, plus extra to sprinkle
- 400g tin sliced peaches (optional)
- Put the raisins and brandy in a pan and bring to the boil, turn off the heat and leave the fruit to plump up and cool. Whizz in a blender with 3 tbsp warm water until puréed.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200°C. Lightly oil 6 pudding moulds and line with clingfilm. Roll out the marzipan to the thickness of a R5 coin. Cut out twelve 1-cm-wide strips and lay them in the moulds across each other.
- Mix the hot cross bun crumbs with the sugar, spread out in a roasting tin and put in the oven for 5 minutes to caramelise. Cool, then crush slightly.
- Using an electric hand whisk, beat the egg yolks, creams, caramelised crumbs, vanilla extract and mixed spice until thickened and lightly whipped. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and fold into the yolk mixture, then ripple the puréed fruit through.
- Spoon into moulds, fold the marzipan strips and excess cling film over to cover, then freeze for 4 hours. Transfer to the fridge for 15 minutes before serving with sliced peaches if you like, and a sprinkle of mixed spice.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.