This bread and butter pudding is one of our favourite ways to use up any leftover hot cross buns. In fact it's so good that we always buy extra hot cross buns to make sure that there are a few leftover! Make sure you've got plenty of ice cream to serve with this delicious pud.
Total cooking time: 1 hour
Energy: 2209kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 14g
- 50g butter, softened
- 6 hot cross buns, cut into 1,5cm slices
- 4 tbsp apricot jam
- 50g dried apricots, chopped
- 50g sultanas
- 50ml Cointreau or rum
- 3 free-range eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 300ml full-cream milk
- 300ml reduced-fat cream
- 50g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp demerara or light brown sugar
- Grease a 1,5-litre ovenproof dish with some of the butter. Use the rest to butter the bun slices liberally, then spread with the apricot jam. Warm the fruit in the alcohol, then cool and let the fruit swell.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Arrange the buns in the dish, scattered with the fruit. Pour over the custard mix and press it into the bun mix a little. Cover and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Scatter over the sugar and bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden, puffed up and the custard has set.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.