Everyone needs a lemon meringue pie recipe in their baking arsenal and because a classic lemon meringue pie with condensed milk is everyone's favourite teatime treat. This version has got loads of lemon juice, which means a perfect balance of tangy and sweet - basically it's our favourite lemon meringue pie ever!
Serves: 10 to 12
Cooking time: 1 hour
Energy: 1586kJ Per serving
Saturated Fat: 9g
- 300g digestive biscuits
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large egg yolks
- Zest and juice of 4 large lemons (between 3/4 and 1 cup of lemon juice, depending how tangy you like your lemon meringue pie)
- 385g can condensed milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 175g castor sugar
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Crush the biscuits in a food processor and mix with the melted butter. Spread over the base and sides of a loose-based flan tin. Bake for 10 min, then leave to cool.
- Turn the oven to 170°C. Beat the egg yolks with the lemon zest until creamy and pale. Strain, then pour in the condensed milk and whisk until thickened. Mix in the lemon juice in two additions. Pour into the pie dish and bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Using an electric whisk, mix the egg whites on a low speed until stiff. Turn up the speed gradually, then add the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time – mixing well between each spoonful. Spoon over the middle of the pie and place under a medium grill, or use a blow torch, for 3 min, or until browned.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.