This moist sponge pudding with its sticky caramel sauce is EXACTLY what we need as the weather gets cooler. And the fact that it's dairy free and gluten free means everyone can dig in.
Energy: 2121kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 7.5g
Ingredients: For the sponge
- 175g dairy-free baking margarine
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 175g light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 175g self-raising gluten-free flour
- 1 to 2 tbsp almond milk
- 250ml soya or coconut cream
- 250ml almond milk
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 5 egg yolks
- 50g castor sugar
- 1 tsp gluten-free cornflour
- Grease a 1-litre pudding basin and drizzle in the golden syrup and treacle.
- Using a hand-held whisk, cream the sugar and margarine together until pale and fluffy. Add the egg, a little at a time, and beat well after each addition. Add the zest and flour, and fold to combine. Use the milk to loosen the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the pudding basin and level. Cover with a piece of pleated greaseproof paper, then cover with foil and tie with string. Put on a trivet, set in a pan, and fill to halfway up the side of the basin with boiling water. Steam for 2 hr.
- To make the custard, mix the cream and milk in a pan with the vanilla seeds and bring to a simmer. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and cornflour in a bowl. Whisk in the hot milk, then return to the pan. Over a low heat, stir until the custard coats the back of a spoon. If it starts to curdle, remove from the heat and whisk hard until smooth.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.