This gooey cheese, mushroom and potato pie is a carb-lovers dream! Who says vegetarian food is boring?
Cooking time: 1 hour
Energy: 1 091kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 24g
- 1,5kg floury potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 500g mixed mushrooms (big brown, oyster, portabellini)
- 5 shallots or 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 50g butter
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 100ml cream
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 200g Fontina, Taleggio or Gruyère cheese, cut into lumps
- 400g roll puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten, to glaze
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. While the potatoes are cooking, clean and cut the mushrooms into big pieces (big brown mushrooms into quarters, oysters and portabellinis into halves).
- Fry the shallots in butter, then add the mushrooms, followed by the garlic. Fry over a medium heat until golden and sweet. Add the cream to the pan and simmer gently for 1 minute.
- Toss in the parsley and season. Add the potatoes and the cheese and give everything a good stir. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Spoon into a shallow dish.
- Cover the dish with the pastry. Trim off any excess pastry around the edge of the dish, crimp it and brush with beaten egg. Make a small hole in the centre of the pie to let out steam and bake for 25-30 mins, until the pastry is golden brown.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.