This one-pot Spanish chicken and rice is a simple recipe you can whip up in 45 minutes, which makes it perfect for those nights when you're short on time but have hungry mouths to feed. This recipe serves six, which makes it the ideal no-fuss dinner option, especially as it all cooks in one dish. So there's less washing up for you - and once you've stuck it all in the pot, you can let it cook on its own and you can get on with other things (like putting your feet up!). Apart from the boneless chicken thighs, most of the other ingredients you'll probably either already have in the fridge or pantry, which makes it a cheap, simple and delicious dish for enjoying any night of the week.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Energy: 1590kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 2g
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 9 boneless chicken thighs, cut into thirds
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 200g tomato passata
- 1tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Pinch cinnamon
- ½tsp dried oregano or a small handful fresh oregano leaves
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 300g basmati rice, rinsed
- Feta and oregano leaves, to serve
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish set over a medium heat. Brown the chicken in batches and set aside. Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until softened and golden. Add the garlic, peppers, passata, paprika, cinnamon, oregano and balsamic. Mix well, add 125ml water and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Put the rice in a bowl of boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain. Take out half the tomato mixture from the casserole and add an even layer of rice topped with a layer of chicken. Add another layer of rice and chicken, then the rest of the sauce. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook on a high heat for 10 minutes. Turn to a medium-low simmer for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with feta and oregano to serve.
Notes: If you can't find boneless chicken thighs, you can use bone-in thighs.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.