Don't be put off by the avocado in the icing - it actually makes a deliciously creamy chocolate topping. The fact that it's good for you is a bonus.
Energy: 1862kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 8g
Ingredients: For the cake
- 175g dairy-free margarine
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 3 beaten eggs
- 275g flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- zest of 1 lime, plus the juice of 2
- 75ml coconut milk (at room temperature)
- 1 avocado
- 35g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25ml coconut milk
- 20g pistachios, chopped
- Heat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line an 18-cm round cake tin. Beat the dairy-free margarine with the soft brown sugar until pale and creamy.
- Mix in the beaten eggs, alternating with the flour (mixed with the baking powder) divided into thirds. Add the lime zest and juice, then mix in the coconut milk. Spoon into the cake tin and smooth the top. Bake for 25 min.
- To make the icing: using a stick or stand blender, mix the flesh from the avocado with the cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract and coconut milk.
- Once the cake is cooked and cooled, remove from the tin and spoon over the icing. Scatter the pistachios over the cake to serve.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.