Cauliflower tastes delicious roasted with aromatic spices, and is a brilliant addition to everyone's favourite - macaroni and cheese
Serves: 4 to 6
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Energy: 2117kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 13g
- 500g frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 200g macaroni
- 25g butter or margarine
- 100g frozen chopped diced onion
- 1 tsp chopped or crushed garlic
- 1½ tbsp flour
- 500ml low-fat milk
- 125g extra-strong Cheddar, grated
- Heat the oven to 230°C. Toss the cauliflower with the oil, cumin and caraway, then spread on a baking tray. Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning until golden. Meanwhile, boil the macaroni according to the pack instructions; drain.
- Heat the butter or margarine and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Stir in the flour for 1 minute, then add the milk, a splash at a time, stirring until smooth after each addition. Simmer for a few minutes, and stir the pasta into the sauce along with ⅔ of the cheese. Add the cauliflower, season, spoon into an ovenproof dish, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Notes: This cauliflower mac and cheese is delicious as is, but if you want to serve it as a side, it goes well with grilled pork chops, or bake frozen fish fillets alongside the pasta dish.