Cauliflower tastes delicious roasted with aromatic spices, and is a brilliant addition to everyone's favourite - macaroni and cheese
Serves: 4 to 6
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Energy: 2117kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 13g
- 500g frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 200g macaroni
- 25g butter or margarine
- 100g frozen chopped diced onion
- 1 tsp chopped or crushed garlic
- 1½ tbsp flour
- 500ml low-fat milk
- 125g extra-strong Cheddar, grated
- Heat the oven to 230°C. Toss the cauliflower with the oil, cumin and caraway, then spread on a baking tray. Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning until golden. Meanwhile, boil the macaroni according to the pack instructions; drain.
- Heat the butter or margarine and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Stir in the flour for 1 minute, then add the milk, a splash at a time, stirring until smooth after each addition. Simmer for a few minutes, and stir the pasta into the sauce along with ⅔ of the cheese. Add the cauliflower, season, spoon into an ovenproof dish, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Notes: This cauliflower mac and cheese is delicious as is, but if you want to serve it as a side, it goes well with grilled pork chops, or bake frozen fish fillets alongside the pasta dish.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.