Slow cooking is the best way to cook pork belly - transforming it into the most tender and succulent cut of meat. Serve it with barbecue beans and creamy sweet potatoes for a weekend feast!
Ingredients: For the pork belly
- 30g chipotle seasoning (try Woolworths)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1.3kg pork belly
- 2 sprigs each fresh thyme and rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 250ml cider or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 410g cans mixed beans, drained
- 400g passata
- 3 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 4–5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
Method:To make the slow-cooked pork belly
- Mix together the chipotle rub, honey, oil and salt. Rub over the pork and place on top of the herbs and garlic on the base of a foil-lined baking dish. Chill for 4 hr.
- Heat the oven to 140°C. Pour the cider around the meat, cover with foil and roast for 2½ hr. Remove from the oven, cut away the skin and place under a grill on high until crisp. Cover the meat and leave to rest for 20 min.
- For the beans, heat the oil in a pan and cook the shallots and garlic until soft. Stir in the beans, passata and sauces. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 min. Add the pork juices and bring back to the boil.
- Top the beans with sour cream and thyme and serve with the pork and crackling.
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Rub the potatoes with olive or avocado oil and paprika. Put them on a baking tray and roast for 30–40 min until cooked all the way through.
- Drizzle the maple syrup over the potatoes, return to the oven and cook for a further 5–8 min. Serve with the lime wedges.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.