No one should have to give up cake just because they're cutting out gluten and dairy. Our baking gurus have measured and mixed and tested and tasted to come up with this gluten- and dairy-free celebration cake recipe - perfect for a birthday!
Cooking time: 40 min + cooling time
Energy: 2887kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 17g
Ingredients:For the cake
- 250g dairy-free baking margarine
- 225g castor sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 225g gluten-free self-raising flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 150g dairy-free margarine
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
- 200g dark chocolate
- Small can coconut cream
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Cream together the margarine and castor sugar until pale and creamy, then slowly add the egg, little by little. Sift over the flour, xanthan gum and cocoa powder, and fold into the mixture. Stir in the avo and divide the mix between two 20-cm round cake tins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 min. Leave to cool in the tins for 10 min, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, mix together the margarine, icing sugar and cocoa, and set aside. To make the ganache, melt the chocolate and coconut cream in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Once melted, leave to cool until thickened.
- To assemble, sandwich together the cakes with a layer of raspberry jam topped with the cocoa mixture. Drizzle over the ganache and allow it to drip around the edges of the cake. Decorate with your favourite edible decorations.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.