The parsley pesto adds a punch of herby flavour to this colourful vegetable-packed side dish. If you've got any left over, spread it on sandwiches or stir it through pasta for a quick and easy meal.
Cooking time: 30 min
Energy: 1260kJ per serving
Saturated Fat: 7g
- 50g butter
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 300g baby carrots, scrubbed
- 300g young or baby turnips, halved if necessary
- 200g shallots or baby onions, peeled and left whole
- 250g frozen petits pois, defrosted
- 2 bunches of spring onions, whole but trimmed
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 30g toasted flaked almonds
- large bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 40g freshly grated Parmesan
- In a large pan, melt the butter with the vegetable stock and add the carrots, baby turnips and shallots. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 min, then uncover for a further 5 min until tender and the liquid has almost evaporated.
- To make the pesto, whizz the garlic, almonds, parsley and a large pinch of salt in a food processor (or with a stick blender) to make a thick green paste. Drizzle in the oil and whizz until runny. Stir in the cheese, then set aside.
- Add the petits pois and spring onions to the pan of vegetables for a further 5 min and cook, uncovered, until tender and glazed. Remove from the heat and stir the parsley pesto through the warm veg to coat.
We want to know more about you
Welcome to the Essentials online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.