For us mere mortals, a trip to the beauty aisle can be VERY overwhelming. There are so many brands and products to choose from, that we often end up sticking to the beauty buys we usually use, rather than risk spending money on something we hate.
When we’re wondering whether to buy the latest contouring palette or new-technology lip stain, we often turn to bloggers to see if they’ve tried it out first.
We decided it was high time someone put this largely untapped repository of beauty knowledge to good use, and so we asked a few of our favourite beauty bloggers to tell us about the beauty products they use every day.
Most of them really struggled to choose just a few products, but we’re glad they did! (Settle in, this is a bit of a long read, but it’s packed full of amazing info)
1. Leigh from Lipgloss is my Life
If you run into me right now there’s a 99% chance I’ll have used all of these guys:
- Dermalogica Daily Superfoliant
- L’Oreal Voluminous mascara
- Lancome Juicy Shaker Matte in Pink Power,
- Rimmel London Brow This Way 3-in-1 Ultra Soft Powder
- Givenchy Ange ou Demon le Parfum Accord Illicite (This is my ‘day’ winter scent. At night I like Narciso Rodriguez for her or Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile de Fleur)
I have so many other every day faves but they aren’t picture pretty due to living a thug life I’m my make up bag. Poor, old beat up Catrice Camouflage Cream, Urban Decay Naked palette 1, L’Oreal Nutri Lift Gold foundation and The Body Shop Baked Blush in Petal should all be here too ????
2. Megan from By Megan Kelly
It’s been awhile since I have done a full face of makeup and have actually been keeping my routine pretty simple with my newborn, but these are products that I am currently testing and loving:
- The new limited edition ALIEN Eau Sublime may have only just landed on my beauty table, but I have been wearing it every day since
- I also really like my new The Balm palette ‘In TheBalm of your hand’, as you can achieve several looks with just this one gem
- For lashes, the new Essence Volume Stylist Mascara is an incredible budget find, offering fuller lashes while still being really affordable!
- Of course, a newborn means layering on the eye cream, so I have been making BFF’s with my Dermalogica Age Smart Power Vitamin Eye Cream, to keep those dark circles far away
- Lastly, when I am looking for a little oomph, there’s no denying the special powers of a good lipstick and this one was hauled from the UK for me, MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer in Hustle – how fitting! It’s a comfortable matte lip in a berry shade that I am loving this winter.”
3. Rayne from Make it Rayne
I am always changing my routine but I have about 15 ride or die products that I use every week. I decided to narrow it down to the 5 most readily available options:
- Nivea Daily Essentials Cleansing Wipes – for removing make-up quickly at the end of the night without leaving any tightness or dryness.
- Almay Age Essentials Foundation – one of the most underrated foundations on the market. This is a medium coverage but buildable foundation that doesn’t require you to wear concealer – unless you reeeally want/need to.
- Dermalogica nightly lip treatment – a bit of a splurge but worth every cent! I don’t have any fine lines when I smile any longer. Three weeks ago my fine lines would stay there after smiling and, don’t get me wrong, they weren’t deep or awful looking but I cannot believe this product has eliminated them the way it has!
- Drops of Light Pure Clarifying Foam Wash from The Body Shop — this has been my go to face wash for a while now. Normally I stay away from foam washes as they leave your face feeling tight but this one only leaves your face fresh and clean.
- The Catrice blush palette in Cor-all I Need – it’s pretty clear which shade I adore in this palette but overall the entire palette is a winner. SO affordable with such an amazing colour payoff! I don’t walk out the house with blusher and I’ve been reaching for this pretty much every day for the last two or three months. ????????????
4. Mel from Pretty Messy Mellon
I have been ordered to share my 5 favorite beauty products I use every day ???? Well here they are!
- I can’t survive without my Myhru Facial Serum, this stuff is amazing for skin!! It is an intensive oil serum containing vitamins, omegas and antioxidants. All natural.
- The Revlon Colorstay Foundation has won over my heart! Don’t go a day without it, great coverage that lasts. Especially if you use it in combination with the Colorstay powder.
- The Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bon’s Palette has all the shades I love and can be dressed up or down for every day use, it’s locally available to purchase online from @eyeseehuemakeup
- L’Oréal Feline Volume Millions Mascara is rocking my socks off at the moment! It truly is just beyond fabulous ????????!!!!! Can’t stress that enough.
- I never leave home without spraying on a good amount of perfume and my current crush is the Chloe Love Story Eau Sensuelle. A quality fragrance that is feminine, romantic and noticeable ❤️
5. Aisha from Aisha and Life
I’m gearing up for the week and sharing my current beauty and baby arsenal. It’s a tough week work-wise and these are my life-savers (all of which are almost empty):
- Pond’s Pimple Clear Facial Foam helps me battle my much oilier post-partum skin
- Urban Kids LOC Butter for Fro, because she still needs love under the winter wigs. I even use this on my skin ????
- Woolworths Earth Friendly Baby Barrier Cream for Kai to gently keep his lil’ bum rash-free
- L.A. Girl Mark My Eyes Eyeliner Pen for my ain’t-nobody-got-time-for-that 5-minute make-up routine
- L’Oréal Mega Volume Mascara in Miss Hippie to add drama to my lashes in a jiffy
- L’Oréal Color Riche Matte in Mahogany Studs for chic winter nude lips…that don’t get dry – hallelujah
6. Natalie from Luna Lacey
So Essentials and I are clearly spirit animals as we are both super nosy! They wanted to know the 5 beauty Essentials I use every day…so here we go
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray (Ride or die setting spray, your makeup will not move)
- Letibalm Fluido (winter lips must have)
- L.A. Girl Pro BB Cream Fair (Literally the most budget friendly everyday BB cream)
- L.O.V PERFECTitude Face Contouring Palette (Amazing for makeup on the go)
- Essence Volume Stylist (Best for individually coated lashes)
7. Miriam from New Kid on the Block
Essentials asked me to share some of my favourite beauty products, and you know me, I love my crown ????, so my mind went straight to natural hair. Currently my most used and loved hair products are as follows:
- L’Oréal Elvive oil in balm. It keeps my 4C natural fro moisturised.
- Palmers coconut oil formula conditioner for dry, damaged, colour treated hair. I still have a crown because of this range
- My Aunt Jackies Curls and Coils Purify Me moisturising co-wash for chronically dry hair
- My Garnier ultimate blends repair balm
- Finally my Cantu leave-in conditioner.
Since discovering these products wash day hasn’t been the same. My hair feels stronger, moisturised and healthier. I love my crown and since I’ve been showing it love, it’s been living me back ????????????
8. Sarah from Mascara and Mimosas
Essentials asked me what my favourite beauty bits are at the moment so here they are:
- Chanel Healthy Glow Luminous Colour in medium light | The best bronzer I have used to date.
- Urban Decay Perversion Mascara | Gives thick, super black lashes.
- Essence Matt Matt Matt Lipstick in 02 | The perfect matte nude for every day
- L.A. Girl Pro Conceal in classic ivory | Great for brightening the under eye
- NYX Ultimate Shadow Palette in cool neutrals | Gorgeous cool tones with amazing pigment
9. Candice from In My Bag
These beauties have become my current go-to essentials:
- NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Love Contours All Eye and Face Sculpting Palette contains 9 very well pigmented, blendable eyeshadows, two highlighters, two brow powders and two contour shades. I must say, R355 for a full face palette that includes a really big mirror is, in my book, a bargain.
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Botanical Cleansing Oil is among my favourite cleansing oils as it completely dissolves makeup while helping the skin retain its PH balance.
- Eucerin UreaRepair Plus 5% Urea + Creamide & NMF Lotion. This is, hands down THE BEST MOISTURISER you’ll ever use, especially if you suffer with very dry skin.
- Optiphi Classic Hydration Tint SPF 20 is a South African beauty that I simply adore. This tinted moisturiser offers a breathable, light to medium coverage with mattifying, skin brightening and anti-aging benefits.
- Dermalogica Age Smart Nightly Lip Treatment has become a favourite treat for my lips. Being over forty and an ex smoker, my lips need all the help they can get!
Read more: 11 celeb-approved make-up and beauty hacks
10. Robyn from Be Whole
Hey Essentials, thanks for requesting my beauty must-haves ????????. Here they are:
- Sorbet face brush: My face brush has literally been a life-changer. It’s one of the first things I pack into my travel bag and use to cleanse both morning and evening. It’s been a major contributor to reducing dead skin cells and reducing my acne scarring.
- Garnier BB cream: I was sceptical about using this at first because I’d always used foundation for coverage and the cost of this Garnier BB cream is so affordable that I didn’t expect the quality to be on par with products that I’d used before. This was recommended to me by a beauty therapist because it’s non-comedogenic which means that all of the ingredients combined, won’t block your pores when you apply it.
- Beaucience toner: Using a toner is so important! I love this Beaucience toner with natural ingredients. It works as a pore minimizer by tightening my skin cells and blocking dirt and free radicals from creeping into my pores. It also balances my skin’s pH level after cleansing so that it doesn’t get too dry or too oily.
- MAC Matte lipstick: This lipstick is long-wearing and works well with my skin tone. I love that it’s got a matte look but doesn’t dry out my lips.
- L’Oreal Volume Mascara: This mascara was actually a gift I’m loving the dramatic lash effect that it gives me. The tiny rubber bristles of the brush make a big difference in ensuring that mascara actually gets onto my lashes but doesn’t clump.