There are so many foundations on the market that buying a new one can be seriously overwhelming. If you’re looking for a new product to test, we’ve made it a bit easier for you with our reviews of 5 of the best foundations to try out.
And once you’ve found your favourite foundation, make sure you’re putting it on properly with our step-by-step tutorial on how to apply foundation.
1. Essence Soft Touch Mousse Makeup, R69,95 — Foundation that costs less than R100 AND gives even, light coverage? What’s not to love? We’re completely in love with the delicate texture and the shine-free finish. This is our top pick for a matte foundation that won’t leave your face looking cakey.
2. Revlon ColorStay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup & Concealer, R299 — We LOVE a two-in-one product because it saves us space, time and effort. The foundation in this compact is perfectly matched to the concealer, taking the guesswork out of perfecting your skin tone and covering up flaws. Although the texture of this compact foundation is creamy, it does tend to cling to dry patches, so if you have very dry skin it may not be for you. It provides medium coverage with a lightweight, powdery finish.
3. Ck one colour 3-in-1 Liquid Makeup SPF 8, R470 — Another time-saving base, this liquid foundation combines a serum and a primer, which makes it really long lasting. It goes on incredibly smoothly and dries to a radiant finish, giving you a healthy glow.
4. Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Compact, R565 — For fans of powder foundation, this is a great choice. It reduces shine, tightens pores and leaves you with a luminous, velvety complexion. Like most powders, the coverage is light, so make sure you apply concealer if you have any particularly problematic areas. It mattifies like a dream and you can reapply it without skin looking cakey.
5. L’Oreal Paris Infallible Matte Foundation, R189,95 — Our top foundation for for oily skin, this provides great coverage that lasts and lasts (and lasts and lasts). It dries quickly to a matte finish, so be sure to apply it quickly, but its shine-free effect makes it worth it. Make sure you moisturise well, because it can highlight dry areas.
Looking for more tried and tested beauty buys? Check out the results of our 2016 Beauty Awards to see which products our readers can’t live without.