You don’t need to spend a fortune on luxury treatments before showing off your body this summer. We’ve got lots of quick and easy at-home spa treatments to help turn your bathroom into a decadent spa experience, so you can indulge in some me-time and transform yourself into a goddess.
1. Peel and reveal
Exfoliate rough, spotty and dull skin at least once or twice a week. Massage exfoliator into damp skin with sweeping upward movements. Pay attention to your bottom, elbows, knees and back of arms where your skin is driest.
2. Hair removal made easier
No one should bare their bods with fuzz on show — follow our tips to master the art of perfect hair removal.
- Depilatory creams are best for bikini and legs. Depilatory creams can help to prevent ingrown hairs as they also exfoliate the skin. Never use a depilatory cream on broken or sunburned skin. Remove cream with a damp facecloth using downward strokes — it takes off more hair than rinsing.
- Shaving is best for underarms and legs. Remember, hair grows quicker in warm weather. For a close shave, exfoliate first. Avoid nicks by wetting your skin so hair softens before you shave. Change your razor blade every five shaves. Leg hairs grow down, so start at your ankles and shave up; shave underarms in every direction as that’s how the hair grows. Apply a moisturiser or oil after shaving.
- Waxing is brilliant for any area. You’ll be hair-free for weeks not days! Hairs must be at least 2mm long. Wash off lotions or oils — they’ll stop wax from adhering to the skin. Pull strips off fast — peeling them slowly won’t remove the hair. Clean skin with a warm, moist towel afterwards to remove any excess wax. To minimise irritation and ingrown hairs, don’t wear tight clothing over freshly waxed skin.
3. Get silky smooth skin
‘In the East,’ says holistic therapist Nita Ladwa, ‘before a bride’s wedding night, her female relatives massage a mixture of olive oil, turmeric and salt into her body.’ We’re not saying you need to go to these extremes, but it is important to moisturise our bodies, as well as our faces. So start moisturising every day after your bath or shower.
4. Try a slimming treatment
Need to shrink into your bikini, but only have a few weeks to slim down? For a sleeker silhouette, try a DIY wrap (along with a healthy diet!) to draw out toxins and excess water around the bottom and thighs and improve those lumpy bits. Stand in the bath to avoid any mess, apply product and begin wrapping the body with clingfilm in an upward direction. Wrap the clingfilm tightly, but not so tight that it affects your circulation. Relax for an hour — and why not apply a DIY face mask while you’re waiting?
5. Revitalise with a hair rinse
We love these natural therapies — try one after you’ve shampooed for shiny, healthy hair.
- Get rid of product build-up: Mix 300ml apple cider vinegar with 2 litres distilled water. Stir and pour over your hair. Rinse well with clean water.
- Volumise and curl: Mix 3tbsp deep conditioner with 3tbsp epsom salts; microwave for 20 seconds. Rub the mixture from your scalp into the hair ends; leave for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
Or give one of these DIY natural hair masks a try.