We’ve got 3 DIY natural hair masks to keep frizz at bay and get the shine you’re looking for! Healthy hair here we come.
1. Avocado and olive oil hair mask
Filled with vitamins and fats to nourish and moisturise dry hair! If you like, you can also add mayo — the added fat content increases the moisture factor.
- Mash an avocado, then add a 2 to 3 teaspoons of olive oil and mix well.
- Give your hair a good wash with your choice of shampoo and apply the avocado mask, spreading evenly and paying special attention to your roots.
- Sit back and relax, let the mask work it’s magic for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly, then condition your hair to get rid of the avocado scent.
- Use weekly for best results.
2. Raw egg white, lemon and olive oil hair mask.
The protein in egg whites repair your locks and replenish shine — perfect for damaged hair.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk and mix well with 1 tsp lemon juice and 2 to 3 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Apply the mask liberally and wrap your hair in a towel to avoid making a mess.
- Let the mask sit for about 20 minutes, then rinse thoroughly, shampooing and conditioning your hair as normal.
3. A beer rinse
This will tame unwanted flyaways and get that shine you’re looking for!
The darker the beer the more nutrients, so try a dark amber ale or stout.
- Coat your hair with beer and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, use a towel or sit in the bath so you don’t drip beer everywhere.
- Rinse with cold water, then condition your hair to get rid of the beer scent.
- Use weekly to maximise the shine.
TOP TIP: Applying natural oils to your hair — like coconut or olive oil — will act as a natural conditioner and hydrate your hair. Apply it to those extra dry tips to help with frizzy and dry hair. If you have oily hair, avoid your roots so that your hair doesn’t look greasy. This works especially well on damp hair to lock in that moisture.
While you’re pampering your tresses with these natural hair masks, why not whip up a DIY face mask and scrub, too? You’ll find all the ingredients in your cupboard and fridge!