Although we love the summer sun and the warm beach weather, our hair HATES it.
Humidity levels rise and this makes our hair look frizzy, wild and pouffy. But help is at hand — just a few simple tricks, tips and affordable products for frizzy hair will help you tame your tresses!
7 things you should know about frizzy hair
1. All hair types can suffer from frizz. How bad it gets depends on how dry, coarse, curly or brittle your hair is.
2. You’re more prone to frizz when you’re pregnant because hormones accelerate hair growth, and the thicker your hair, the frizzier it becomes. Plus, your body temperature will be higher and that leads to more chance of frizz.
3. The weather has a big impact — frizz occurs when dry hair sucks up moisture from the air, so the change in temperature and humidity or how windy it is outside, can affect how your hair behaves.
4. Heated tools exacerbate the problem, but who can live without a hairdryer? Not us! Instead, use hairdryers and straighteners with ionic technology — they’ll help lock excess moisture and leave your hair smoother.
5. Regular trims can help. Frizz occurs most on damaged hair, and seeing as the ends of your hair are the oldest and therefore the most damaged, it makes sense to get them chopped!
6. Vitamins, minerals and a good balanced diet will give you healthier hair, but can’t do anything to fight the frizz once your hair has been exposed to the outdoor elements, heated tools and over styling. Sorry!
7. Oils and serums both act as humidity blockers to prevent frizz, but oils don’t contain water, so although they prevent moisture loss and add shine, the effect usually only lasts u to 3 hours. Serums normally contain some water and can be more moisturising.
6 products to help control frizzy hair
- THE AT-HOME TREATMENT
Marc Anthony 30 Day No Frizz Keratin Smoothing Treatment eliminates frizz and reduces drying time, giving you more manageable hair for up to 30 days. And it really works!
- THE QUICK FIX
Lee Stafford Frizz Off Intensive Treatment contains keratin to help fight frizzy hair and nourish it from the inside out. Slather this fast-working treatment on after shampooing and leave to work its magic for 5 minutes.
- THE BRUSH
TRESemme Volume Ceramic Plated Tunnel Vent Brush has air vents which allow hair to dry quicker, so there’s less frizz potential — hurray!
- THE SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER
OGX Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo & Conditioner – use keratin and oils to protect dry hair from the elements.
- THE HAIRDRYER
BaByliss Expert 2200 Ionic Hairdryer dries your hair in no time at all, leaving it shiny and free of static — so you’ll be flyaway and frizz free!
- THE PROTECTOR
If you need to make bushy hair behave, try Garnier Ultimate Blends Sleek Perfector Oil. This powerful blend contains pure coconut oil to keep dry, frizzy hair soft and shiny.