Fashion tips and advice to help you avoid 7 mistakes we ALL make — no need to be a victim of fashion.
1. Buying something that doesn’t suit your body shape. Just because something’s trendy, doesn’t mean it will look good on you. Shop for your shape. Always. That way, your clothing will never go out of style.
2. Wearing a shapeless tent-style dress to ‘hide a multitude of sins’. You’re actually hiding everything, and making yourself look bigger than you are. If you have a big tummy, wear something loose around your middle, but fitted on the arms. If you don’t like showing off your arms, wear a waist-cinching belt to give you shape.
3. Buying yet another cocktail dress because everyone has seen you wearing your other ones. You’re not Kim Kardashian — you can rewear the same outfits thousands of times. Even Kate Middleton does it!
4. Spending money on something you love, even when you have nothing to wear it with. Every time you buy an item of clothing, think of at least three things currently hanging in your cupboard that you can wear it with. If you can’t, then don’t buy it.
Read more: How to stop buying clothes you never wear
5. Wearing the size you WANT to be, rather than the size you are. Don’t fret about the number — you can cut out the labels if you’d feel more comfortable. Clothing sizes change drastically between different stores, so pay attention to how clothes fit, rather than the size on the label — a well-fitting outfit will always make you look slimmer than squeezing into something that’s a size too small.
6. Wearing heels you can’t walk in. Yes, they might be gorgeous, but you look silly. Rather go for a comfortable wedge, or nice flats. You’ll look a lot more professional if you’re not hunched over trying to keep your balance.
Read more: Top tips on staying comfortable in heels
7. Splurging on something just because it’s a designer label. Nobody can tell how much the clothes you’re wearing cost. Why? Because wearing something that suits your shape and fits you well can make a R100 dress look like a million bucks!