Understanding your body shape and what styles suit you can make a huge difference to your look and confidence. The better you feel, the better you will look. So why not use our guide to find out what body shape you are and follow these tips to show you how to dress for your body type and feel fabulous?
We all have different bodies and they should all be celebrated. Here’s how you can make sure you look your best whatever your body type!
Dressing in clothes that flatter your particular body shape can make you look instantly taller and slimmer, but first you need to know what body shape you are. Here’s our easy body shape guide.
How do I know if I am an apple body shape?
You are an apple body shape if:
- You tend to gain weight in your mid-section
- Your waist is the widest part of your body
- You have a full bust and/or a rounded tummy — apple body shapes are often referred to as being ‘top heavy’
- You have little waist definition
- You probably have great legs — you should flaunt them!
Celebrity apple body shapes:
Basetsana Kumalo, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Queen Latifah, Rebecca Malope and Kate Upton are celebs with apple body shapes.
How do I know if I am a pear body shape?
You are a pear body shape if:
- You have quite narrow shoulders
- The widest part of your body is your hips — pear shapes are sometimes referred to as being ‘bottom heavy’
- You tend to gain weight on your hips and thighs
- You have a clearly defined waist
Celebrity pear body shapes:
JLo, Jessica Nkosi, Jennifer Love Hewitt and Boity Thulo are celebs with pear body shapes.
How do I know if I am a rectangle body shape?
You are a rectangle body shape if:
- Your shoulders, waist and hips are all in line with each other
- You tend to wear the same size on your upper and lower body
- You don’t have a big bust and might have a flat bum
- You’re sometimes described as being ‘straight up and down’
- You have broad shoulders and little waist definition
Celebrity rectangle body shapes:
Keira Knightley, Lalla Hirayama and Natalie Portman are celebs with rectangle body shapes.
How do I know if I’m an hourglass body shape?
You are an hourglass body shape if:
- Your shoulders and hips are in line with each other
- You have a small, defined waist
- You tend to be curvy, but look balanced and in proportion
Celebrity hourglass body shapes:
Christina Hendricks, Lerato Kganyago, Sophia Vergara and Minnie Dlamini all have hour glass body shapes.
If it all just seems like too much hard work for you, why not hire a stylist or personal shopper? House of Janine offers both services, and have just launched a new service called Tweak & Style where, after you’ve chatted to a stylist, a box of clothing chosen specially for you is delivered to your home. What could be easier than that?