You’ve probably heard the term capsule wardrobe being thrown around a lot lately. It’s become a popular way to keep a minimalist yet stylish wardrobe.
But what exactly is a capsule wardrobe? Think of it as a thoughtful assembly of closet classics, that all work well together to create a multitude of outfits from a small number of items. You can have a seasonal or occasion capsule. Or, you can create a general one that you’re able to add to depending on the season, trends and your own style growth.
The great thing about building a capsule wardrobe is that you’re able to capitalize on your budget and (when created correctly) it will last for seasons to come. So how do you build a capsule wardrobe? It’s important to remember two things; your personal style is key and dressing for your figure is essential. It’s pointless adding something to your closet that goes against your personal style or that doesn’t flatter your figure.
So here are our guidelines for creating the perfect capsule wardrobe. All you have to do is personalize it to your taste and shape.
How to build a capsule wardrobe that will save you money and time:
Keep it simple when it comes to tops. Stick to the basics as you can always jazz it up later with accessories. We suggest you get a basic white t-shirt, a satin camisole, a playful graphic/statement t-shirt, a classic button-down shirt, a striped long sleeve top, and of course, a feminine blouse.
Draping yourself with the right outerwear is a great way to take any outfit from day to night, or from casual to dressy. In our opinion, there are 5 outerwear items that should be in every woman’s closet. They’ll go with anything, can be dressed up or down, and are easy to wear all year round.
Our top 5 outerwear buys would be a classic black blazer, a fitted leather jacket, a denim jacket, a light knit or cardigan, and a classic trench coat.
The kind of bottoms you choose for your capsule wardrobe will largely depend on your body shape. What works for a pear won’t necessarily work for an apple. Our advice is to look for a similar look and feel to the items presented in this article.
Do get yourself a figure-flattering pair of both black and blue jeans. A midi length skirt you can wear to the office or on a date. A pair of formal trousers that are trendy enough for work and when you’re off duty, too. And lastly a pair of office-friendly shorts that will work for any occasion.
You gotta have a dress
…Or two. We suggest going for the tried and tested LBD (Little Black Dress, for those of you who don’t know), plus a more casual one. Again, go for a silhouette and style that compliments your figure and personality.
An outfit is not complete without the appropriate shoes to go with it. But there are certain shoes that work for every season, every trend change, and for every age. This category is a great one to splurge on – firstly, for comfort, and secondly, because the better the quality, the more wear you’ll get out of them.
Do get yourself a great pair of black or nude courts, black ankle boots, long leather boots, pumps or flat mules, and fashionable sneakers.
Shop the capsule
- Leather jacket, R3 499, Poetry
- Light knit jersey, R349, Queenspark at Zando
- Denim jacket, R899, Forever New
- Black blazer, R1 199, Forever New
- Double breasted trench coat, R1 999, Mango
- White t-shirt, R299, Poetry
- Statement t-shirt, R149,99, The Fix
- Satin camisole, R599, Paige Smith at Zando
- Classic white shirt, R399, Woolworths
- Burnt orange blouse, R679, Zara
- Striped long sleeve t-shirt, R160, Woolworths
- Blue belly bottom jeans, R1 399, Sissy Boy
- Straight black jeans, R679, Zara
- Straight cut trousers, R899, Zara
- A-line skirt, R699, Poetry
- Black wrap dress, R399, Woolworths
- Printed dress, R269,99, The Fix
- Shorts, R699, Witchery at Woolworths
- Long boots, R714, Quiz at Bay One
- Court heels, R699, Call It Spring at Superbalist
- Leather ankle boots, R949, Mango
- Sneakers, R1 199, Nike at Superbalist
- Leather pumps, R1 199, Mango