Everything you need to know to get gorgeous, kissable lips. Don’t even think about pumping your lips full of collagen when you’ve got our expert lip care tips up your sleeve.
All you need is a dab of serum, the perfect shade of lipstick to complement your skintone and a slick of gloss. Thin, lined lips can be painlessly plumped with these beauty tips for lips, and transformed into a kissable pout in a matter of moments… and not a needle in sight! Here are six ways to… lift your lips.
- To get perfect Angelina-Jolie-style bee-sting lips, after applying lipstick, dab clear gloss at the centre. This helps to reflect the light, amplifying that pout to make it look plumper.
- Apply a silicone-based serum around the lip area to fill in lines and prevent your lipstick from bleeding into them.
- Use lip liner the same shade as your natural lips and draw just outside your lip line. Fill the rest of the lip area with the liner, then apply your lipstick on top.
- Collagen levels reduce with age, so lips get thinner. You can restore volume by using a moisturising, rose-coloured lipstick that’s slightly darker than your natural lip shade.
- There’s nothing worse than a rim of lipstick left around your lip line after eating or drinking. Make lipstick last by dusting lips with translucent powder in between coats.
- Use a white or nude-coloured pencil to trace the shape of your cupid’s bow just above the natural lip line. After applying lipstick, it will stand out against the colour.
Choose the right colours for your skintone
- Pale skin — Go for cool reds. It can be really tricky to find the right red for you and you may need to experiment a lot before finding one that suits you. As a rule of thumb, avoid any lipstick with an orange undertone. Otherwise stick to pale and peachy-pink nudes or go for raspberry shades with just a hint of gold shimmer. Avoid flat nudes as they’ll only make you look washed out
- Olive skin — Classic blood reds, juicy plum colours and warm and dusky-pink beige tones will all look fabulous
- Dark skin — Choose deep ruby reds, intense and dramatic blackberry shades or deeper mocha tones
Cheat your way with these lip care tips:
- You can eliminate harsh lines by blending your lipstick and liner together with a lip brush. There’s nothing more dated than distinctive, all-too-obvious lipliner.
- Make sure you exfoliate regularly and keep lips moist by reapplying a lip balm throughout the day. Flaky lips look even worse when you’ve applied lipstick.
- Dark, matte colours will make thin lips look even thinner, so choose a shimmer lipgloss in a softer shade instead to give the illusion of plumper lips.
- Lipsticks don’t last forever and constant use can lead to a build-up of bacteria. So make sure that you replace yours at least every 12 to 18 months.
- Wear a lip balm with SPF throughout the year to protect your lips from sun damage.
- Apply lip colour with your finger for a less intense stain.
Crimson lips are red-hot! Yes, you can dare to wear red! If you’re fair, look for a crimson with a pinky tone. You may prefer to go with a lighter shade rather than a strong crimson red. Have fun with colour — yes you can!