Finding the perfect skirt for your body shape can be daunting. That’s why we put together these rules to make picking the perfect skirt effortlessly fun!
There are loads of different types of skirts, but the three basic skirt shapes we think are the most flattering for different body types are: fit and flare, A-line and pencil. These come in a variety of lengths, but the basic rules will always apply.
Rules to remember when you’re looking for the perfect skirt
- Always accentuate your best features! And yes ladies, we ALL have amazing physical features. Be it your killer legs or tiny waist, find a skirt that will show off the best parts of you and hide the not so great.
- Keep it simple silly. Choosing fabrics and styles that are classic means you’ll be able to wear your new perfectly fitting skirt for years to come
- Go for comfort. Don’t try to squeeze into a skirt that’s too tight for you. The goal is to look AND feel great in your skirt.
- The right colour is key. It may be tempting to follow the trends and get a zebra print A-line skirt. But the truth is, you’ll probably push that skirt to the back of your closet the second time you wear it. Rather go for classic black, white or navy. These colours are chic season after season, and will definitely give value for money. Once you’ve found a few classic styles and colours that suit you, then go for that zebra print!
- Have some fun! If you don’t feel great in the skirt you buy, you won’t end up wearing it. So buy something that makes you feel great and look sexy.
- If you’ve tried on a few skirt styles and you’re not sure what suits you best, take some photos of you wearing the skirts in the change room mirrors. Then go home and look at the pics — it might make the process of finding a skirt longer, but it will really help you see which ones are the most flattering. We promise it’ll be worth it when you find the perfect skirt!
So which skirt should you buy?
1. The fit and flare skirt
A fit and flare skirt looks great on those of us with smaller waists and bigger thighs. The cinched in midriff will draw the eye to this tiny part of your body, and the flared hemline will balance out your shoulders, creating that sexy hourglass silhouette.
2. A-line skirt
If you have long lean legs that you want to show off, get yourself an A-line skirt. This shape is great at creating curves, so it’s the perfect pick for anyone with a more slim frame. The high waist gives you a flatter tummy and the hemline makes your legs look even longer and more toned.
Top Tip: Do wear your A-line skirt with a great pair of heels to give you more length and definition.
3. The pencil skirt
A pencil skirt is the perfect skirt for so many body shapes. The high waistline elongates the body and trims the waist, a longer hemline shows off your toned calves, and the tailored lines add beautiful curves.