Turn back time… with make-up. Here’s how to use clever make-up tricks to make you look younger, fresher and more gorgeous.
Smooth, flawless skin — it’s what we want and why we all have pots of anti-ageing creams in our bathroom cabinets. But it’s not just miracle creams that can take the years off: make-up can help, too.
- Make-up sitting in wrinkles, looking thick and heavy? Add some dewiness by rubbing a drop of face cream in your hands and pressing into your skin.
4 make-up mistakes that make you look older
Cloggy mascara: Mascara is meant to open up the eye area, but thick, cloggy lashes actually do the opposite. Regularly wash your mascara wand under warm water and dry it well before you use it again.
Read more: How to clean your make-up — you should be doing it regularly!
Bleeding lipstick: Make sure your lippy is a stayer, not a mover! If it feathers into fine lines around your mouth, this is just going to accentuate them. Use a rose-coloured lip pencil first as a barrier before you apply your lipstick or gloss.
Not blending foundation: Make sure you blend your foundation scrupulously, to stop it looking uneven and patchy. Take it right down your neck and décolleté, too, to give a uniform colour, as well as camouflaging age spots and freckles.
Thick powder: Too much face powder can be very ageing, as it saps the radiance from your skin. Swap for blotting papers — try Palladio Rice Paper Oil-Absorbing Blotting Tissues. Too much blusher is a no-no, too. A quick sweep on each cheek is all you need.
Remember these anti-ageing basics when applying foundation
- Before you even go near a make-up brush, don’t forget about prepping your skin…
- There’s no point applying foundation to naked skin — it will be impossible to blend and end up looking patchy. Cleansing, toning and preparing your skin is key, it gives your skin a better texture and creates a beautiful canvas.
- Foundation and powder will look cakey on areas of dry, flakey skin, so make sure you regularly exfoliate to keep your skin smooth.
- The older your skin, the more moisture it needs, so choose a face cream with a thick, buttery texture and apply lashings to keep your skin hydrated. Foundation will look dewy over the top.
- And don’t even think about applying eye make-up to eyes without eye cream!
Read more: Try this at-home DIY facial to give your skin a boost.