We show you how a bit of smart shopping and clever dressing can help you show off your curves. In true Essentials style, we’ve done the hard work for you — here’s our guide to the most flattering clothes for an hourglass body shape.
How do you know if you have an hourglass body shape?
- Hourglass body shapes really do have it all: they’re well-proportioned, have killer curves in all the right places AND a distinct waist.
- If you have an hourglass body shape (lucky you!), you should make the most of it by showing off your bust and naturally cinched-in waist.
Remember that the trick to looking and feeling your best is to wear clothing you’re comfortable in, so try not to take fashion ‘rules’ too seriously — they’re really just guidelines to what shapes and cuts of clothing are most flattering on your particular body shape.
Hourglass body shape: What you SHOULD wear
- Anything that shows off your feminine figure, and especially your tiny waist!
- Pencil, flared and short skater skirts all look great on your curves.
- Tops that end just below your hip line will make you look instantly taller (and slimmer!).
- Wear necklines that draw attention to your décolletage and bust — try boatneck, V-neck, scooped or sweetheart necklines.
- Choose form-fitting dresses that nip in at the waist — wrap and fit-and-flare dresses will fit you like a dream.
- Single breasted coats and jackets won’t add bulk to your frame.
- Jeans and trousers with a slight flare at the bottom look best.
Hourglass body shape: What NOT to wear
- Boxy dresses — or anything else that hides your waist. Baggy clothes will bury your figure, making your look wider than you are.
- Pants or tops that are too fussy (think ruffles, pleats, ultra chunky knitwear and embellishment) can draw too much attention to your hips or bust, making them look bigger.
- High necklines, like a polo neck can make your boobs look disproportionately large.
Ready to go shopping? No need to even leave the house — here’s our pick of the best online clothing shops in South Africa. Enjoy!