Finding clothes that make you look and feel amazing can be difficult. One of the tricks to buying clothes you love is to figure out what shape you are and follow a few simple guidelines about what to wear to fit and flatter your body shape.
If you’re a rectangle body shape, a bit of smart shopping and clever dressing could make all the difference between clothes that are okay and clothes that make you feel like you can do anything! In true Essentials style, we’ve done the hard work for you — here’s our guide to the most flattering clothes for a rectangle body shape.
How do you know if you have a rectangle body shape?
- Rectangle body shapes tend to be tall and lean — your body may be described as ‘straight up and down’ and you’re probably the envy of all your friends.
- If you do gain weight, it’s usually evenly distributed all over your body, rather than in any particular area.
- Your hips tend to be as wide as your shoulders.
- You might worry that you have small or average boobs, little waist definition and a flat bum, but you actually have one of the easiest body types to dress — lucky you!
Remember that the trick to looking and feeling your best is to wear clothing you’re comfortable in, so don’t take fashion ‘rules’ too seriously — these are just guidelines to what clothing is most flattering on your particular body shape.
Rectangle body shape: What you SHOULD wear
- You’re tall with an athletic build, so you look best in tailored, fitted clothing — you have a great figure so make the most of it!
- Short jackets will help shape your waist, as will mid-waisted skirts and pants.
- You have the height and shape needed to pull off shirts that are tucked in at the waist.
- When it comes to dresses, you can pretty much have your pick of the lot; A-line, empire, shift, bodycon… you can really go wild!
- High necklines work well on you, as do halter tops and boob tubes with sweetheart necklines and scooped necklines that show off your fabulous collarbones and shoulders.
- Desperate to look like you have more curves? A waist-cinching belt worn with a dress should do the trick.
- Look for tops with embellishments around the bust and shoulders, or that are ruched or full around the bust.
- Congratulations, you are one of the very few body shapes that look amazing in skinny jeans!
- A knee-length pencil skirt that tapers at the hem will help create curves.
Rectangle body shape: What NOT to wear
- Double-breasted jackets, or tops that give you a boxy silhouette.
- Did we mention that you are one of those really lucky people that can wear just about anything? That’s why this is such a short list!
Ready to go shopping? No need to leave the house – here’s our pick of the best online clothing shops in South Africa. Enjoy!