Hair extensions and weaves require special care as well as moisture from good quality products. Volure hair boutique shares a few tips with us on how to maintain and what not to do when it comes to hair extensions.
How to take care of your extensions
- Washing: Allow at least 10–14 days before giving your hair its first wash. Brush your hair thoroughly prior to washing. To reduce the amount of dryness, rather use a pre-conditioning treatment before shampooing your hair.
- Brushing: Always brush from the tips, working your way up; avoid fine tooth combs, rather use paddle brushes.
- At night: If you have straight hair, tie your hair straight into a single twist and cover it with a satin cap. For curly hair, braid your hair, taking medium size sections and braiding it all the way down, leaving the tips undone. Wear a satin cap or sleep on a satin pillowcase.
Big no-no for your extensions
- Washing: do not forcefully scrub your hair when washing.
- Blow-drying: Do not roughen the hair when drying it, instead towel dry the hair to soak up any excess water. For straight hair, do not blow dry when your hair is fully wet. For curly hair, leave it to air dry.
- Products: Oil moisturisers and hair food are not allowed as they will cause tangling.
How to deal with dryness
It’s normal for hair extensions to feel dry from time to time. If that happens, avoid using shampoo when washing and rather only use a good quality conditioner.
Tip: Make sure you treat your scalp to give it moisture and prevent flakiness, dandruff and itchiness.
For more information call Volure on 011 787 1707