A lot of women who are pear shaped have a love hate relationship with their figures. Whether you love your hips or wish they were smaller, here’s our guide to the most flattering clothes for a pear body shape.
How do you know if you have a pear body shape?
- Generally, if your hips are the widest part of your body, you’re a pear shape.
- As a pear shape, you tend to carry any excess weight in your hips and thighs so drawing attention to your upper body will make you look more proportional.
- You have a gorgeous, defined waist and you should be making the most of it!
Remember that the trick to looking and feeling your best is to wear clothing you’re comfortable in, so don’t take fashion ‘rules’ too seriously — these are just guidelines to what clothing is most flattering on your particular body shape.
Pear body shape: what you SHOULD wear:
- To look slim and trim from top to toe, wear darker colours on your bottom half and lighter colours on your top half.
- Bootcut or wide leg jeans are the most flattering.
- Cropped jackets or coats will accentuate your already small waist.
- You can’t go wrong with skirts and dresses that fit in the waist then skim over your hips and thighs, so you should definitely have a few A-line and fit-and-flare dresses in your cupboard.
- Tops with detailed necklines or sleeves will draw attention to the upper half of your body.
- You lucky thing! You can wear just about any neckline — try boat neck tops, sweetheart, boobtube, square… whatever you like!
- Kimono-style tops are ultra flattering on you, and they’re on-trend, too. Win-win!
- You can pull off everything from chunky scarves to thin, delicate neckties and anything in-between.
- You know how people tell you not to wear stripes? That rule doesn’t apply to you — striped tops were pretty much made for your body.
- Wear tops that end on, or slightly below, your hip line.
- Choose A-line and flared skirts that end on or near the knee for a super-flattering finish.
- Layering will help balance out your proportions, so try winter’s super stylish sleeveless coats.
- A belt around your waist will show off one of your best bits.
Every woman should own a Little Black Dress in a shape that flatters her body. We can show you how to make the most of yours by wearing one LBD three different ways.
Pear body shape: What NOT to wear
- Anything too detailed around the hip or thigh area will accentuate your hips
- Pants or skirts with pockets on the side will make your waist appear wider than it is
- Skinny jeans – yes, we love them, but they’re unflattering on most body shapes. Instead, try straight-leg denims, which will give you a similar look that’s better suited to your shape
- Pencil skirts can look super sexy, so if you’re comfortable wearing them, go for it! But if you don’t want to accentuate your bottom half, avoid them.
Could you be committing one of the seven deadly fashion sins without even realising it?