If you’ve left your house in the last month you’ll have noticed that wide leg pants are everywhere! We love how everyone else looks in these flattering, flowing, fashion-forward trousers, but we’re not really sure how to pull off the look. That’s why we got our fashion editor to give us her top tips on how to wear wide leg pants — without looking like a clown.
She says that wide leg pants can be flattering on every body shape. The right pair can elongate your legs, cinch in your waist and skim over your thighs (what can’t they do?). You just have to find the perfect pair for your unique body shape.
Just like jeans, not all wide leg pants are the same, and you might have to try on a few different styles before you find a pair you love. Keep these tips in mind when you’re at the shops and you should find a flattering pair in no time!
Yes, you can absolutely wear wide leg pants if you are curvy! The important thing here is to create balance. Your math’s skills will come in handy here ladies! Choose a style that starts to flare right at your hips and goes straight down from there.
- Do wear wide leg pants with structured, tailored and cropped jackets to accentuate your hourglass figure.
- Don’t wear wide leg pants with pocket detailing. This will only make your hips appear wider than they actually are.
- Do wear high waisted wide leg pants. This will draw the eye away from your widest part, to your small waist and perfectly shows off your curves.
- Don’t wear low waisted styles. If you have a bit of a tummy (who doesn’t?), this shape just highlights it.
- Do wear fitted tops with shoulder detailing. A fitted top will show off your waist and the shoulder detailing will balance out the bulk of the wide leg pants.
- Don’t wear cropped (or culotte) styles. The best thing about wide leg pants is how they elongate and balance. Culottes will make you look shorter and wider.
Wide leg pants for petite frames
Wide leg pants can drown your petite body if not worn correctly. Petite ladies should choose a style that has a slimmer flare and a wider waist.
- Do tuck your top into your pants. This will define your tiny waist and show off your best features.
- Don’t wear big baggy tops. This will leave you looking like you are drowning in fabric.
- Do go for striped pants. These will elongate your legs making you appear taller.
- Don’t wear wide leg pants with flats. This can make you look shorter.
- Do bring out your highest heels. The best part about this is you won’t even need to alter your pants!
Tall and slender
Being tall is definitely a plus when it comes to pulling off wide leg pants. Most styles will suit you, but you should also be aware of a few dos and don’ts.
- Do try culottes. With your height, you can definitely pull off this look. Go ultra moden with a great pair of flat forms.
- Don’t wear wide leg pants with baggy tops. This really isn’t flattering for most people.
- Do layer up. Wear wide leg pants with tunic tops and dresses. This look is ultra-chic, and will give your look an instant edge.
- Don’t pair wide leg pants with chunky jackets or tops. This will only hide your long and lean look.
- Do be creative and experiment. Your height is an advantage with this trend, so go on and try something different.