It may be winter, but that doesn’t mean you can’t wear dresses! We know you probably default to jeans and leggings when the temperatures drop, but our fashion editor has been searching for the best (and cheapest) winter dresses just for you.
From sexy bodycon dresses, to flattering fit and flares, we have you covered.
Read more: How to stop buying clothes you never wear
Our best tips for choosing a dress to wear during winter, is to go for something that accentuates your natural curves and body type. Try to also choose a dress you can easily wear with stockings or opaque tights (because no one wants to be cold). The length of the dress is also important. Generally, the most flattering length is at your knee or just above — especially if you’re going to wear boots with your dress.
Bring sexy to winter with cute, body-hugging bodycon dresses. If you love showing off your figure, no matter the season, then these are the perfect winter dresses for you.
- Mesh bodycon, R129,99, Jet
- Bare shoulder dress, R119,99, Mr Price
- Grey pattern dress, R159,95, Ackermans
- Mustard bodycon, R349, Zando
- Lace up detail dress, R80, Mr Price
A fit & flare
Your summer staple can also be your winter best friend! We love this style of dress because it flatters every shape and size. Go for simple black, or spice it up with a cool print. Either way, you will look amazing in any of these dresses.
- Red fit and flare, R119,99, Jet
- Mesh detail dress, R100, Mr Price
- Tribal print, R139,99, Mr Price
- Floral print, R184,99, Rage
- Black skater dress, R263, Pilot at Bay One
The jersey dress
The classic knit or jersey dress is a winter wardrobe hero because they’re comfortable, super warm and easy to dress up or down. Every woman should have at least one in their closet — we promise you’ll be wearing it for at least 3 or 4 winters.
Read more: 9 easy ways to wear a scarf
- Striped dress, R199,99, Jet
- Rust peephole dress, R129,99, Mr Price
- Grey shift, R229, H&M
- Charcoal dress, R299, H&M
- Cabled knit dress, R199,99, Mr Price
A shirt dress
Yes, you can wear a shirt dress in winter! Cinched in at the waist with a figure, flattering belt, they’re winter’s best-kept style secret. Just add a coat, tights and a great pair of ankle boots and you’re ready for anything.
- Nude button-up shirt dress, R169,99, Jet
- Checked shirt-style dress, R179,99, Mr Price
- Olive belted shirt dress, R349, Zando
- Twill shirt dress, R259,95, Ackermans
- Geometric print dress, R159,99, Mr Price
If you’re looking for something new, and trendy, then the turtleneck dress is the right choice for you. Whether you choose an over-sized, chunky knit, or a slim, body hugging style, you’ll be turning heads for all the right reasons.
- Striped bodycon turtle neck, R325, Contempo
- Short-sleeved grey dress, R149,99, Mr Price
- Orange knit dress, R129,99, Mr Price
- Navy button-detail dress, R214,99, Rage
- Brushed roll neck dress, R349, Zando
Read more: 5 stylish ways to wear a poncho