The festive season is here, but what is Christmas without biscuits? These delectable butter biscuits from Royal Baking Powder will go down a treat with the whole family.
- 125g butter or margarine, softened
- 80ml (1/3 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 extra-large egg yolk
- 3ml vanilla essence
- 250ml (1 cup) cake flour
- 3ml (1/2 tsp) Royal Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together. Add the egg yolk and vanilla essence and combine well.
- In a bowl, sift the flour, Royal Baking Powder and salt together. Then add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well to form a smooth, firm dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape into a log of about 5cm in diameter. Wrap tightly in clingwrap and chill in the fridge or freezer until firm.
- Cut the chilled dough into about 7 mm thick slices and place on greased baking trays.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Unwrap and cut the chilled dough into 7mm thick slices and place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 min or until golden. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Zhoosh up these delicious biscuits by adding cherries or coconut to the dough:
• Cherry biscuits: Add 60g red glacé cherries, coarsely chopped
• Coconut biscuits: Add 60ml d(1/4 cup) desiccated coconut