We know how difficult keeping kids busy can be, especially over a weekend or the holiday season. Instead of having to listen to ‘I’m bored’ for the 100th time, get inspired by these fabulous kids arts and crafts ideas, then stock up on supplies so you’re ready with some fun art projects as soon as the boredom starts to set in. From jewellery that even very little ones can make and fun felt sewing projects to outdoor crafts and kid-friendly baking to keep youngsters busy for the whole afternoon!
1. Keep kids busy making these cute tin can candle holders that make gorgeous outdoor decorations. Get them to make a few and use them to decorate your table at a dinner party or string them up to add some ambiance to your patio. And the best part? They use upcycled tin cans, so you won’t have to spend a cent!
2. Little ones will love you forever if you lend a hand to make an adorable felt mouse and teddy, all wrapped up in their very own tin bed. We love this kids craft idea because not only does putting it together keep kids busy, but they’ll spend hours playing with it afterwards, too! Plus it’s great for taking along on a car trip because it’s so compact.
3. We think washi tape is probably the best craft invention since the pin. Seriously! You can use it to make just about anything look a little more fabulous, it comes in countless colours and patterns and it’s easy to use. Which means kids will have no problem making this pen holder on their own. Or let them loose with the washi tape and try their hands at any of these 13 ways to use washi tape.
4. Wondering what to do with those puzzles that are missing a few pieces but you don’t have the heart to throw away? Don’t worry, we’ve all got at least one. Let the kids turn those useless puzzle pieces into jigsaw art they can hang in their rooms, or anywhere in the house really. Of course, you don’t have to stick to hearts: stars, letters, even animal outlines, the sky’s the limit!
5. Paper craft is one of the hottest crafty trends right now, and for good reason. Cardboard might be cheap and cheerful, but fold it and stick it in the right places and you can turn it into Pinterest-worthy arts and crafts that even kids can make. How sweet do these paper craft cacti look arranged on a shelf? And they’ll keep the kids enthralled for at least a few hours, making it one of our favourite kids arts and crafts idea.
6. Even the tiniest tots can thread buttons onto cord to make this button necklace — you might need to help out with the knots though. We love any arts and craft project that you can wear.
7. Instead of keeping them cooped up inside all day, get the kids outside in the fresh air to make these handprint stepping stones. They look great in the garden and everyone will have loads of fun thinking up creative things to stamp on the stones (paw prints anyone?).
8. Teach older kids to use the sewing machine on an easy project like this cactus cushion. Once they’ve got the hang of it, get them to design more cushions or stuffed toys — they make great personal gifts to give to friends.
9. Tired of stepping on all that Lego lying all over the house? Don’t get mad, get even! What kid wouldn’t love one of these Lego letters in their room or on their door? And no one needs to know they’re contributing to your war on stray Lego pieces…
10. Looking for kids craft ideas that are a little different? This homemade soap will have them exploring the garden for sweet-smelling herbs (or explore the supermarket if you aren’t a herb-grower). To make the soap even more scented, add a few drops of your favourite essential oils.
Looking for kids craft that’s perfect for the festive season? We’ve got 10 of the best Christmas craft ideas to keep children busy AND get your festive decor sorted at the same time. Win-win.