Whether you’re a foodie or just someone whose idea of cooking is ‘whipping up’ a ready-made meal, there are a few kitchen tools that every single kitchen should have. After all, the right tool makes cooking so much easier, and ultimately so much more fun.
1. There’s nothing more frustrating than trying to prepare food with a blunt knife, or trying to peel a potato with a peeler that barely works. The Victorinox range of knives, peelers and other utensils is easily one of our favourites because of their flawless design and pocket-friendly price tags. Bring on the chopping! (Universal peeler, R89,95; Serrated edge paring knife, R69,95; Round serrated edge tomato knives, R199,95 for set — all Boardmans)
2. Every cook needs a fabulous apron. And don’t forget a decent pair of oven gloves and a pot holder or two… There’s nothing to put you off cooking quite like a burn or ruining your favourite skirt! (Apron, R99,99; Oven mitts, R19,99; Pot holder, R69,99 — All Mr Price Home)
3. Every kitchen needs a decent scale, regardless of how often you bake… they come in handy when you least expect it. Buy yourself one that looks pretty and leave it on your counter to add to your kitchen décor. (R279, @home)
4. Speaking of baking, who doesn’t love to whip up a batch of home-made scones or cupcakes every now and then… especially in this cold weather? Be sure to have your kitchen baking ready to go with these goodies from Woolworths. (Ceramic mixing bowl, R250; Measuring cups, R130′ Measuring spoons, R89,95; Silicone whisk, R59,95)
5. Make your kitchen completely user friendly by getting super organised. Labels may seem tedious, but when they come personalised and ready-made for you, there’s no excuse. Plus, you won’t believe how much easier it will be to find all those ingredients… and keep tabs on what needs to be added to the grocery list. (R300 for set of 103 labels, Macaroon)
Please note that these prices were correct at the time of publishing. Prices and availability of stock are subject to change at the discretion of the supplier.
For more great finds and inspiring tips for your home, sign up to our weekly newsletter here.