These upcycled storage jars are perfect for just about anything — keeping everything from nail polish and lipstick to kid’s toys and sewing supplies in one place. You’ll be amazed at how organised you feel with a few dedicated jars for those bits and bobs that usually have no home.
The jars we made are very kid friendly, but there’s no reason you can’t make chic jars to add to your home decor. For a touch of extra glamour, spray paint the lids with on-trend copper paint.
To make your upcycled storage jars, you will need
- Jam jars
- Hot glue gun
- Small plastic toys
- Spray paint
How to make your storage jars
- Clean the jam jars thoroughly, removing any sticky labels from the glass.
- Use a hot glue gun to stick one toy onto the top of each lid.
- Spray the lid with three or four light coats of paint. A few light coats are better than one or two thick ones as it prevents the paint from running. Leave the paint to dry for a day or two before you fill the jars with odds and ends or sweet treats.
- Enamel-based spray paints give a high-shine finish and come in beautiful colours.
- If you like, you can paint the lids of your upcycled storage jars with chalkboard paint and write or draw a picture of the contents. This works very well if you’re going to keep the storage jars in a drawer.