Do your kids enjoy arts and crafts? Here is a lovely way to get the kids involved in an activity for Dad, and the end result will make a fantastic keepsake, too. These colourful, personalised stones will assure dads that they are in fact as great as they think.
This idea can be used for other things, such as labelling herbs in the garden or adding cute little characters in-between plants.
You will need:
- 1 small bag of stones
- 4 different colour paints (not water based)
- 2 paintbrushes
- Purchase a small bag of smooth-sided pebbles (the bigger they are, the more painting space you will have).
- Visit a local home store and purchase non-water-based paints and some paintbrushes. It is also a good idea to buy varnish to paint over a top coat so that the rain does not ruin the painted stones.
- Wash your pebbles with sunlight liquid and pat them dry them with a dishcloth.
- Set up a painting area and cover it with newspaper (non-water-based paint is often very difficult to get off of surfaces). Have some turpentine ready to clean your brushes.
- Place your pebbles on the newspaper and paint a garden bug, a pattern, or simply ‘dad’, in the colours of your choice.
- Put your pebbles in the sun to dry. Once dry, apply a layer of varnish over your painted pebbles, to seal them. Allow to dry once again.
- Choose a favourite spot in the garden with Dad, or the best visible area, and place your stones. Watch as your garden comes to life with new colour!