When it comes to the home, bathrooms tend to be forgotten about. We might not spend us much time in the bathroom as we do in our lounge or kitchen, but it is a space that is regularly used for relaxing… or at least it should be!
With a little effort your bathroom can become a haven where you can recharge, wind down and create some much needed balance away from the demands of life.
With this in mind, you may be inspired to give your own bathroom an overhaul of sorts. The extent to which you choose to renovate your bathroom is of course entirely up to you and depends on your budget. Whatever the case, there are a few basic principles to keep in mind when doing a bathroom makeover.
- Plan well in advance and use professionals. This is probably the most important principle behind a successful bathroom renovation. Consider going to a place like Tile Africa where they have qualified design advisors who can provide tips and advice on the perfect layout and renovation for your specific space. Using professionals should also prevent you from making costly mistakes and making impulse purchases.
- Storage plays an important role in the bathroom, particularly in homes with large families where things like laundry and toiletries can quickly pile up. Nowadays, storage can be incorporated in a variety of clever, practical and appealing ways. Think large vanities, elegant cabinets and clever shelving, all of which should be planned for accordingly in your renovation plans.
- Try to protect the rest of your house as far as possible while renovations are under way. Renovations tend to be messy and can take their toll on your house and belongings. Cover your furniture, close off other rooms and have a set entrance and path construction workers can use during the process. And remember: you are investing in your well being and your home, so try and remain patient throughout the process!
- Add a 10% buffer to your budget. Inevitably there are cost overruns which aren’t planned for and which can prevent you from completing your dream bathroom.
- If your bathroom is spacious and you can afford it, why not incorporate a small chandelier or other beautiful lights and replace the existing bath with an elegant free-standing bath? This will give it an ultra-chic feeling — perfect for unwinding and relaxing in!
- Simple is usually better. Although it’s important to create a bathroom that reflects your personal taste and promotes a sense of well-being, keep in mind that you might want to sell your house one day. As such, try and use materials that won’t date quickly. You can always incorporate more of your own personality in the form of removable mirrors, vases, towels, mats and candles.
Inspiration can also be found at Tile Africa’s ‘Inspiration Gallery’ at www.tileafrica.co.za
Don’t stop at a bathroom makeover — why not spruce up your house too with our home decor tips that won’t break the bank.
Pictures supplied by Tile Africa.