If you’re wondering how to get the kids away from the TV and computers why not put them in the garden and together you can make a farmyard in a basket.
Before you start thinking: “oh no, what a mess” — we don’t mean a ‘real’ farmyard, but a mini one, which is neat and will look cute in any garden, patio or even on a table. The kids will really enjoy this project and you can use as many different farmyard elements as you like.
Read more: Get the kids to build a bird feeder
What you will need to make a farmyard in a basket
- An old wicker basket
- Drip tray to fit in the bottom of the basket
- Weed barrier cloth
- Potting mix
- Plants (we used herbs and lettuce)
- Farmyard animals and toys
- Watering can
- Small decorative stones and some bigger ones
- Bottle lid wrapped in some foil (to look like a watering trough for the farm animals)
How to make a farmyard in a basket
1. Cut the weed barrier cloth to fit the inside of the basket.
2. Put the drip tray on top of the weed barrier cloth, fitting it snugly inside the cloth.
3. Fill the basket with potting mix, leaving about 5cm at the top for plants and decorations. Using gloves, pat the soil flat.
4. Get planting: place some plants into the soil — we used lettuce, celery and parsley.
5. Lay the stones down and then place the farm animals, cars, barn, watering trough and any other farmy elements in the soil.
6. Water the plants with the watering can to keep them healthy.