You will need:
- Candlewicks (candledeli.co.za)
- Candle stubs (or wax ingredients, candledeli.co.za)
- Double boiler
- Pyrex jug
- Thin skewers
- MELT candle stubs or wax in the top of a double boiler. Heat gently until the wax is liquid, then turn off the heat. Cut the wick 5 cm longer than the depth of the cup.
- POUR the melted wax into a jug. Dip the wicks into melted wax to coat them all over, wrap them around the skewers and place into the cups so the wick hangs in the middle.
- POUR the wax into the cup, stopping about 1.5 cm from the rim. Repeat with the rest of the cups. Spilled wax can easily be removed once set. Allow the wax to set for about an hour.
- RE-HEAT leftover wax and pour into any spaces – wax shrinks as it cools, so there may be gaps as it starts to set. Carefully remove the skewer and trim the wick. Leave for at least a day before you light it.
Tip: For scented candles, simply add a few teaspoons of an essential oil at the melting wax stage.