Always on her feet and always juggling a million balls, moms deserve to be spoiled — so why not treat her with a DIY Mother’s Day gift idea that can help relieve some of that stress? This homemade zen garden is the perfect present to help keep Mom feeling calm, cool and collected.
What you will need to make a homemade zen garden
- Wood, cut into pieces (4 x 24.3cm and 3 x 21cm)
- Wood glue
- Nails and a hammer
- Zen garden sand or fine white sea sand
- Some black decorative stones
- Different succulents and air plants
- Small stones
- Potting mix
- Weed barrier cloth, cut to the size of the inside of the box
- A pencil or pen
How make a homemade zen garden
1. Varnish the four long pieces of wood before you start. The will create the sides of the box.
2. When the varnish is dry, you can help your kids assemble the box. Glue the four pieces of wood together to create a square, with the ends sticking out, approximately 1cm from each edge.
3. As you go along, make sure that the smaller pieces of wood can be glued snugly to the inside pieces, with drainage spaces in-between them, to form the base of the box. At this point you can hammer in some nails to make sure it is extra secure.
4. Once the glue is dry, and the pieces of wood are firmly stuck together, place the weed barrier cloth into the box. Make sure you tuck the cloth into the corners for a neater finish.
5. Get the kids to lay a thin layer of stones above the cloth, and follow this with a thick layer of potting mixture, leaving about 2 or 3cm for the fine sand.
6. Help your kids remove the plants from the containers and plant the them in the soil, ensuring you cover all of the roots.
7. Fill the remaining space of the box with the fine sand. Push it into all corners of the box, until all the potting mixture is covered.
8. Finally, get creative and place the air plants and decorative stones around the box.
9. With a pencil you (or your children) can sketch out the word “Mom” in the centre of the sand, along with drawings of some decorative spirals for a final touch of love and ultimate zen.
If you’d like to spoil mom with another easy DIY Mother’s Day gift idea, why not make her this incredible brown sugar exfoliating scrub? It’ll be such a real pampering treat for her skin.