A spathiphyllum is a classic indoor pot plant that will thrive with minimal attention — perfect for making you look like you’ve got green fingers, even if you don’t.
More commonly known as a peace lily, the easy to grow plants originate from South America, and they’re a wonderful, easy-going addition to any décor — whether you’re a seasoned houseplant gardener or new to the whole indoor plant thing. With just a little care and attention, a spathiphyllum will reward you with beautiful year-round flowers and foliage just about anywhere you place it.
Why spathiphyllum plants make such great indoor plants
- Spathiphyllum plants are some of the best plants for indoor gardening, because they don’t demand a lot of light and care. An indoor plant that’s easy to grow and is difficult to kill? Where do we sign up?
- Because they are such low-maintenance plants, you can use them to add a bit of life to almost any spot in your home — they’re a decorator’s dream!
- A peace lily is one of the best plants for improving air quality indoors. It has one of the top removal rates of toxins, such as formaldehyde, ammonia and carbon monoxide, from tainted indoor air. So this amazing plant helps keep the air you breathe clean.
- The glossy green leaves and delicate white flowers of a peace lily are so gorgeous, and they look good with just about any decor style.
How to grow a spathiphyllum plant
- Caring for a peace lily is so easy — just place it in bright light, but not direct sun. If you don’t have a spot that’s light, they will tolerate low light, but may bloom poorly.
- This plant grows naturally in high humidity and warmth. Keep soil evenly moist. Use a pot with a drainage hole to prevent soggy soil, which can cause root rot.
- Feed your peace lily monthly in spring and summer with a balanced liquid fertiliser diluted by half.