Making homemade Christmas crackers is a project the whole family can get involved with, and it adds a personal touch to festive celebrations. These 5 easy-to-follow steps from Dremel show us how to make Christmas crackers the easy (and budget-friendly) way.
You will need:
- Dremel Glue Gun 930
- 7-mm clear glue sticks and the new solid-coloured glue sticks
- Baking paper
- A seal
- A metallic ink pad
- Cardboard tubes from the inside of toilet rolls
- Cracker snaps (try arts and crafts stores)
- A selection of decorative foiled flocked and metallic paper for covering
- A variety of embellishments to personalise your designs
- Trinkets and treats to put inside your crackers
Step-by-step guide on how to make Christmas crackers:
- Step 1: Coloured glue can be used to make personalised seals to add to the Christmas crackers. To make decorative seals to add to your crackers, use the Glue Gun with the coloured glue sticks. Place a large bead of glue onto the baking paper, press the seal onto the ink pad, and immediately onto the bead of glue while it’s still warm. Once the glue is cool, remove the baking paper from the back of the seals.
- Step 2: Cut the decorative paper to size, 43×18 cm. Place the paper face down and score lines 10 cm from each short end; fold along the lines and glue the flaps down using the glue gun with the clear glue stick. Secure the cracker snap to the inside of the paper using a small bead of glue.
- Step 3: Once the paper is prepared, place three cardboard tubes end-to-end on the paper and roll it tightly around them. Use the glue gun to place a thin line of glue along the edge and continue rolling to secure the paper around the tubes,
- Step 4: Once the paper is secured around the cardboard tubes, pull one of the end tubes slightly away from the centre tube and tie a ribbon between the two tubes, manipulating the paper to create a ‘waist’. Insert a gift through the open end, and repeat the same process to seal the cracker.
- Step 5: To make decorating the tubes easier, leave the two end tubes in place to prevent the ends from getting creased and to provide support while you work. Use the glue gun to add the seals and other embellishments to your cracker. Once you’re finished decorating, remove the cardboard tubes from the ends of the cracker.