You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to make your own fun fabric printed tote bags. All you need is a plain canvas bag, a photocopier, transfer paper and an iron and you’re a few steps away from making loads of personalised designs.
Read more: How to make a stunning embroidered bag
What you will need to make fabric printed bags
- Transfer paper
- Bag templates A & B (or your own printed design)
- Dressmaker’s chalk
- Iron and ironing board
- Plain canvas shopping bag (try thatlittleshop.co.za)
- Access to an inkjet printer with scanner
How to make fabric printed bags
1. Download the bag templates, scan them, and increase the image as required on the printer. Feed the transfer paper into the printer and print the image onto the plain side of the transfer sheet. Cut the shapes out from the paper, cutting as close to the seam details as possible.
2. Arrange the cut-out pieces face down on the bag, while using our photos as a guide. Use dressmaker’s chalk to mark the position of all the pieces before removing and then ironing in place, one at a time.
3. Iron each piece with a hot, dry iron, moving it constantly in a circular motion for 6-10 seconds. Ensure all corners and edges are well ironed.
4. After all the pieces are ironed in place, leave to cool, then peel back the transfer paper carefully to expose a glossy image.
5. To achieve a matte finish, put a piece of blank paper over the image and iron in a circular motion for 15 seconds. Wait 2-3 seconds, then peel off the paper while still hot.