Yes, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner — and if you find yourself with not that much money to spend, but a lot of love to show (join the club), we’ve got the best, budget-friendly Valentine’s Day gift for him and her.
We love the idea of putting together a movie night gift basket for Valentine’s Day — it’s so personal and customisable, plus it includes the promise of spending quality time with your significant other. What more could a guy or girl want?
What you’ll need for the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for him or her
- 3 Glass jars (1 big and 2 small)
- Popcorn kernels
- Sticky label
- 2 of your favourite seasoning mixes (see the end of this post for some moreish ideas)
- Flatpack popcorn boxes
- Basket or bucket
- DVD of your choice or Netflix subscription
- Tissue paper
- Optional extras: your partner’s favourite chocolates and a bottle of wine
How to put together the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for him or her
- Fill the jar with popcorn kernels and attach a label saying ‘Movie Night Kit’
- Next, fill the smaller jars with a selection of seasoning mixes to add to the popcorn once cooked.
- On a label, tucked into the kit, write, ‘To serve, add a knob of butter to the warm cooked popcorn and toss with the seasoning.’
- Place the jars, popcorn boxes and anything else you’d like to add in the basket lined with tissue paper. Decorate the basket with a ribbon.
Read more: A shy girl’s guide to sexting
5 seasoning mixes that are delicious on popcorn
- Classic savoury seasoning: Mix 5 tsp salt, 4 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp finely ground black pepper.
- Spicy paprika seasoning: Mix together 5 tsp salt, 2 tsp smoked paprika and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust the cayenne pepper to your personal love of chilli).
- Cheesy garlic and herb seasoning: Mix 5 tsp salt, 5 tsp finely ground Parmesan, 3 tsp dried mixed herbs and 1 tsp garlic powder.
- Addictive curry seasoning: Mix 5 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp tumeric and 1/4 tsp garam masala.
- Sweet cinnamon seasoning: Mix 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt.
Bonus: 3 more Valentine’s Day basket ideas
If the man or woman in your life doesn’t like movies (weird), here are a few more ideas for homemade Valentine’s Day gift baskets.
1. Picnic kit: Put together a few of your favourite snacks and drinks, some ideas for picnic locations and maybe a book or 2 for reading under a tree.
2. Pamper kit: An afternoon for two at the spa can be expensive. Instead, fill a basket with this homemade face scrub and the ingredients required for one of these moisturising face masks, along with instructions on how to use them. Even the manliest of men will have fun spending time together spoiling each other.
3. Wine tasting kit: Buy 3 or 4 wines that neither of you have tasted. Put them in the basket with some crackers, other nibbles and some beginner’s wine-tasting notes. Remember to include a pen and notepad so you can record your thoughts.