You will need:
- 4 pieces of wood (the size of your choice)
- craft paint in the colour of your choice
- texture paste (we used Dala )
- acrylic paint (to colour the texture paste)
- stencil of your choice (shops that stock baking supplies usually have a good selection)
- 8 door handles
- hand drill
- Mod Podge or gel medium
- Sand your wooden trays in preparation for the painting to ensure easier application. Clean them thoroughly.
- Apply at least two coats of paint to the front, back and sides of each tray to ensure an even colour.
- Once the trays are dry, drill the holes to attach the handles. Screw the handles firmly onto the trays.
- Mix the texture paste with the acrylic paint that you have chosen for your design.
- Decide where you would like to place the design on your serving tray, hold the stencil in position, and apply the coloured texture paste modestly.
- Once you are sure that you have covered all the areas of the stencil, lift it from the tray in one go; work very quickly to prevent smudging. Allow the paste to dry completely.
- Finally, invite some friends and serve a delicious meal on your beautiful trays.
Tip: If you wish to place food directly onto the tray, seal its surface with a layer of Mod Modge or gel medium.
Extract taken from Scrap that too – Ideas for decorative and gift items using scrapbooking techniques by Jaclyn Venter — published by METZ PRESS.