Fight-off colds and flu with these essential flu busters.
Carla Yssel, brand manager for Linctagon, advises building up your immune system with these fight-the-flu-virus tips.
Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables
- Veggies are full of vitamins and minerals, so make sure you eat enough to help enhance your immune system.
- Fruit and veg that are high in vitamin C are red and green bell peppers, dark leafy green vegetables like kale, kiwi fruit, pineapple, mango, broccoli, strawberries and oranges.
Sleep, sleep and more sleep
- When you sleep your body relaxes and repairs itself from all that you’ve put it through during the day.
- Lack of sleep can lead to a drop in your immunity, making you more susceptible to colds and flu.
Wash hands well!
- Germs can live for hours on objects like door handles, escalators, light switches or toys. Create a strict routine where the whole family washes their hands when arriving home, after playtime and before eating.
- Carrying hand sanitizer or wet wipes in your handbag for when warm water and soap may not be easily accessible is a handy backup.
- We all know that it’s difficult to get going some days, but it’s important to maintain an exercise routine all year round. A moderate level of regular exercise helps to strengthen and support your immune system. A quick 20-minute walk around the neighbourhood in the afternoon before settling in for the night will do wonders. You could also include a regular family walk on the weekends — the fresh air, exercise and quality time will be great for the whole family.
Viral defense supplements
- Give your body an immune boost with a maintenance product. Look for products which contain active ingredients, such as vitamin C, which is used to assist in antioxidant protection, and Echinacea, which is a herb used to help combat the symptoms associated with colds. These actives have properties that can help to support the body with immune, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant support. Include them in you and your family’s routine to help keep you all at your best.