Better on Toast
‘Hot or cold, savoury or sweet — there’s nothing better than fresh, flavourful ingredients on a slice of perfectly toasted bread!’ – Jill Donenfeld
With over 70 irresistible ways to decorate your toast, this book really is the best thing since sliced bread. Renowned Chef, Jill Donenfeld has compiled a recipe book that includes tantalising ingredients to put on your toast. As simple as it sounds, the book is anything but. From an oyster omelette to chile-orange-cured salmon, there’s a topping for every occasion, mood, weather… you get the point. We’re obsessed, and hope you will be, too!
Are you ready for a sneak peak? Try this smoked trout and grapefruit dish!
(An extract from Better on Toast by Jill Donenfeld)
‘One of the nicest things a boyfriend has done for me was to break into my flat. The guy busted in, supremed enough grapefruit to fill a litre container, cleaned up his mess, and exited unseen. A supremed slice of fruit is simple decadence, and it’s a pain: Juice. Gets. Everywhere. Never mind all that juice (or awaiting another boyfriend break-in); here is the lazy-lady supreme. It provides a similar effect, plus it’s lawful and especially convenient when preparing breakfast.’
- 1 grapefruit
- four 1-cm-thick slices whole wheat, rye or spelt bread
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives oven toasted
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- ¼ cup small-diced peeled cucumber
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 120g smoked trout
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- Lazy lady supreme the grapefruit by slicing off both ends, then the rest of the peel, removing all the pith. Slice in half, top to bottom. Then slice into half-moons. Pull the segments apart. You’ll use half the grapefruit.
- In a food processor, or with an immersion blender, mix the olives, agave nectar, oil and lemon juice until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the crème fraîche.
- Spread the olive crème on the toasts. Lay on the grapefruit sections. Top with the diced cucumber and smoked trout. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and serve.
And most importantly, enjoy!