Not only are avocados delicious, they’re also nutritional powerhouses, helping to make you healthier and more beautiful from the inside out. If you needed any more reasons to eat more avos, we’ve got a list of just some of the beauty and health benefits of avocados.
1. Although they’re high in kilojoules (100g of avo contains about 650 kilojoules), they can aid weight loss by keeping you full for long periods and contributing to your intake of fibre. So if you’re trying to shed a few kilos, don’t cut them out of your diet, just enjoy them in moderation.
2. Avocados are loaded with powerful antioxidants (lutein and zeaxanthin, to be specific) that can protect your eyes against cataracts and other eye diseases.
3. If you’re looking to lower your blood pressure, eat more avo! They’re a great source of potassium, which helps lower blood pressure. In fact, avocados contain 35% more potassium than bananas!
4. It might seem counterintuitive because they’re high in fat, but one of the benefits of avocados is that eating them is good for your heart. Because they’re loaded with so-called good fats, studies have shown they can lower your risk for heart disease by decreasing your blood triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
5. Not only are they good for your blood pressure and heart, but they also benefit your brain. They’re packed full of monounsatured fats, omega acids and fat-soluble vitamins, which are good for brain health. Plus, keeping your blood pressure and cholesterol down helps preserve brain function as you get older.
6. Pregnant? Then the health benefits of avocados are really relevant to you. Avocados are high in folic acid, which promotes healthy cell and tissue development. Getting enough folic acid may prevent complications like insomnia, mood swings and anemia.
7. The vitamin E and retinol-containing vitamin A in avos are real skin heroes. You’ll reap the anti-aging benefits of these vitamins whether you eat your avocado or slather it on your skin using this avocado face mask once a week. You can use it to hydrate your hair by making up an olive oil and avocado hair mask.