Keep those pearly whites in tip-top shape with these dental hygiene tips.
These dental hygiene tips will make sure your teeth look as happy as you feel.
1. Brush at least twice a day — we all know it, but do we do it?
2. Don’t brush too hard. Rather brush more gently for longer, which will keep your tooth enamel looking bright.
3. Whenever you brush, keep going for at least 2 to 3 minutes. If you struggle to know when to stop use your phone to time yourself.
4. Flossing is crucial to your dental hygiene regime. It specifically targets the tight spaces between the teeth and the gap between the base of the teeth and the gums. Flossing removes the tartar and bits of food that can lodge where a toothbrush can’t reach.
5. Toothbrushes should be changed at least 4 times a year. If you have braces, you might need a special toothbrush — chat to your dentist or orthodontist.
6. Make sure you’re using the right toothbrush. If you have to strain to open your mouth wide enough to fit your toothbrush into it, it’s probably too big.
7. Limit acidic drinks, cordials and fruit juices. Food acids soften tooth material and dissolve the minerals in tooth enamel, causing cavities and decay.
8. Use fluoridated toothpaste. The use of fluoride is the single biggest advance in oral health and it’s probably the most important of our dental hygiene tips — it strengthens enamel, reducing the risk of decay.
9. See your dentist for regular check-ups — regular means once a year, not once every five years!
10. Although kids can and should start brushing their teeth on their own from an early age, you also need to supervise them to make sure they do a proper job.